Monday, April 6, 2009

Flying off Noordhoek Peak

Had my first HG flight as a father, accompanied by my father :)

It was a lovely flight off one of the most scenic takeoffs on the Cape Peninsula, Noordehoek Peak. This was the third time I had flown from here, but the first time in years. The take off is on the corner of the Silvermine Nature Reserve and overlooks Hout Bay and the Noordhoek Valley.

Standing on Noordhoek Peak take off with Chapman's Peak in the
distance and behind that Noordhoek beach (photo from my previous flight in 2003).

The view from the west of take off, looking into Hout Bay (photo from a hike in 2007)

When we got to the launch, there were 3 PG's soaring. I rigged quickly and then after waiting quite a long time for a really good cycle, I was off.

View of the launch site from the air

In the air it was magical. It is hard to imagine a more scenic flying site. It was mildly thermic and I had fun repeatedly climbing up to cloudbase in the very gentle thermals while enjoying some of the best views in Cape Town.

At cloudbase

From there I flew to Chapman's Peak and boated around in the very mellow, buoyant SW wind on the peak.

En route to Chapman's Peak

When it was time to land, I glided out a couple of kms over the sea towards Kommetjie and then back along the beach to land near the carpark.


Gliding over the sea towards Kommetjie

A beautiful flight.

Below is a video compilation of the flight:

No comments:

Post a Comment