Sunday, June 20, 2010

World Cup fever flight

Winter weather, the pressures of work and family have combined to keep me out of the sky for quite awhile. Not that I am complaining mind you. I love all of the above. Still, I was really happy when a good, mellow Northwester showed up on a weekend, when I had no other commitments AND there was no World Cup Soccer game on to restrict airspace. 

A quick call to the Airforce Flight Ops Center to get my clearance and I rallied to meet Eric at the Mouille Point landing field. We shuttled up the hill and were soon rigging in a very mellow 15-20kph NW wind. A couple PGs were doing tandems and we soon joined them in the sky. 

Eric in his new U2 enjoying the air with the Stadium in the background

Conditions were on the light side of perfect. We could boat around Signals but not get very high. Drifting on to Lions Head was easy, but there was a glass ceiling halfway up the peak that try as we might, we couldn't break through. Still, it was spectacular to glide close to the hill, with wispy cloud forming and dissipating around the peak. 

 Lion's Head with wispy cloud forming on it. Click to enlarge and see Eric out in front.


Working to break through the "glass ceiling"

We spent the better part of an hour working little bubbles and maxing our climbing rates to try and pop above the ceiling. It was really fun and challenging to try and squeeze every last foot out of the lift. Both Eric and I are flying Wills Wing U2 145s and it was amazing to see how comparable the two gliders were. 

The Apostles with laminar cap cloud

Not getting up on Lions Head, we weren't in a position to head down the apostles, so we headed back to Signals.  Gliding back to Signals, with full VG on, the gliders sliced through the laminar air, not losing a meter on the glide. This was only Eric's second flight on his U2, and his grin could be seen from the air. 

The sun was getting lower and it was time to head out, gliding over the new stadium. 

The amazing new Cape Town Stadium with the Waterfront just behind it. 

It was hard to believe that just the previous night, my wife and I watched Englnd play Algeria with 64,098 other people. What an experience that was. Below is a video I took in stadium of the English singing the anthem before the start of the game (turn up the sound):




After dodging a coulpe of sightseeing helicopters above Mouille Point, I slipped in for a nice landing. Eric followed shortly after:



Derigging in the sunset with a cold beer from across the road and some adoration from an over-excited 13 year old boy completed the excellent outing. 


1 comment: