Sunday, October 24, 2010

10 year anniversary flight

10 years ago, almost to the day, I had my first ever hang gliding flight. Ok, hang gliding skim really. Short practice runs with 1 second of airtime on the beach. Didn't matter, I was hooked before I even hooked in, and considered myself a hang glider pilot immediately :)    I had seen the 10 year anniversary coming for awhile, and was determined to celebrate it in the air if at all possible. The stars aligned, and I ended up having one of my best flights at Signal Hill.

Tracklog

After a nervy take-off due to the slight westerly component on launch, I shot up like a cork in the smooth, buoyant conditions. It was quite westerly and I just snuck around onto the face of Lion's Head and worked up the SW face. It was easy to get 100 m over the top of LH and I could strafe the hikers at will in the smooth 25kph conditions.


Lining up Lion's Head...
Strafing the top
The glide over to Table Mountain was the easiest I have ever had, leaving at over 900m ASL and losing no height across the way. I climbed up the face of TM, and then pushed on down the Apostles.

Crossing over at 900m ASL, a rare day...
Getting to the end of the Apostles, I could see it was a rare day. Lovely mellow westerly with almost no cloud. A perfect day to go over the back towards Kommetjie and beyond. But, I didn't have retrieve that way, and had to be the responsible father and get back in time for my son. So, I glided across to Karbonkelberg (a first for me) and enjoyed the views over the sea to Noordehoek and Kommetjie. 

Looking back along Apostles to TM and LH from Karbonkelberg

The way south to Kommetjie was beckoning, but it was not to be today.
Heading back, I didn't turn once until I got to the cable station, while climbing from 700m to 1000m ASL. The cloud cleared just long enough for me to get a couple of passes next to the cable station. It was probably blowing 30 kph up by the station. It was easy for me to do 360's and penetrate out at 25kph. Remarkable conditions.  


Flyby of the cable station

Touching TM Airspace at 1300m ASL with the cable station visible below
I allowed myself to climb to just over 1300m (airspace starts at just under 1400m), before flying out to sea. I glided out over North Paw of Clifton Bay until I was 2km out to sea. I was still above 700m ASL, but couldn't make myself keep going out to sea... it felt far. So I turned back and raced back to LH getting there 600m ASL.  

2km out to sea and still above Lion's Head
(note North Paw breaking bottom right)

 Time was getting short, so after a quick dive over the hikers on LH, I raced for Mouille Point, getting there with tons of height. I flew 1km out towards Robben Island before turning back and setting up for a sweet landing.

Flying back to Mouille Point landing field... what a view!

A wonderful day, and a fitting way to celebrate a pastime that has given me so much joy over the last decade.

1 comment: