Sunday, December 23, 2012

Low save, high ceiling

Catch up from an epic flight the other day...

At Dasklip with conditions forecast to be huge. PGs in the sky and climbing, but not strongly. Conditions looking great to the north.  I launched and found myself scratching lower and lower and heading for an almost certain turkey... oh no!!!   Was 100m off the deck and unzipped. Couple last turns before a tragic turkey. Saw some crows circling in front of me, headed to join them, turned in zeros, getting low over the trees, couple meters up, couple down, bit more up and then started getting a bit more coherent and I was climbing... held on and concentrated like mad not to lose it.  This thermal ended up taking me from 100m AGL to 3371m ASL, for a single gain of 3010m.  Without a doubt one of my best HG experiences!  



Low save! Tracklog and photos from the bottom and the top of the climb.
Yellow arrow in top panel shows field in bottom panel. 


From there, the clouds stretched out.  I spent most of my time above 2000m. I flew to Constriction, then back over the pass to Renosterhoek (getting to 3476m ASL, my highest yet at Porterville), then on into the valley trying for Eendekuil, then slid back onto the ridge and flew back to Dasklip.  5 hours in the air and a 104 km triangle. 




Looking south over the Porterville Valley from 3476m ASL at Renosterhoek.



A really special day in Porterville :)

No comments:

Post a Comment