Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sir Lowry's Pass

Sir Lowry's Pass (SLP) is a fantastic flying site, 45km outside of Cape Town. The ridge is about 20km long, and it is possible to have some really fun ridge-runs or XC flights from here. It had been about 6 years since my last flight there.

Looking north from 1500ft above take off.

I met Paul Laros at the LZ and we headed up the hill. Whilst rigging Paul discovered he was missing a pip pin and couldn't assemble his A-frame. This would keep him on the ground. I launched into mellow conditions and climbed up rapidly above the ridge. I boated around there for awhile enjoying the views.

Heading north towards Moordenaars Kop

After awhile, I pointed north and flew towards Moordenaars Kop. It was slow going into the NW, but nice and smooth, and I enjoyed flying over the forests and vineyards and along the sheer cliffs.

Flying along the cliffs towards Moordenaars

From Moordenaars, I headed back to SLP and then glided out to the Firlands petrol station before flying back to the ridge. By then it was time to land and I headed out to the LZ. Conditions were very buoyant and it took me surprisingly long to get down for a nice, uneventful landing.

Looking back towards take off and Gordon's Bay from Moordenaars.

No comments:

Post a Comment