Tuesday, February 3, 2009

137kms from Dasklip

A couple weeks ago, I broke my personal best HG distance. I flew from Dasklip in Porterville to 11kms past Klawer, for a straight line distance of 137km.


This flight was particularly rewarding because it was very challenging, but in a stress-free way. My previous best was 116km at King Mountain in Idaho. During the King flight, I was repeatedly terrified as I flew in strong winds and the worst turbulence I have ever experienced. During that flight Jeff Shapiro (current US world team member) tumbled and broke a downtube in the air. He managed to fly to the ground from 14,000ft and land without injury, an amazing display of airmanship.

In contrast, this flight was remarkably stress-free. It took me 5h20mins to cover the distance, but that was mainly because I dawdled along the last third of the flight, enjoying the moment. The conditions were not epic, and it required care and patience to stay in the air, but at no point was I out of glide of a landing field and thus worried about sinking out. The only moment of real stress came when landing in turbulent conditions, but that worked out fine.

This flight was the result of a 2-year long goal to break 200kms at Porterville. Haven't made that yet, but what fun it is trying. Really happy times. Many thanks to Grove for the retrieve and Eric for shared support and motivation.

Some pictures from the flight:

about 95kms out from Porterville, looking at the glide to 100kms (other side of the dam)

The valley from Clanwilliam, note all the termite mounds (spots on the ground)

The last jump to Klawer

Looking towards van rhynsdorp on final glide. I landed
near the top of the right of the picture.

My LZ

Retrieved!

2 comments:

  1. Nice flight Adam!! The terrain looks amazing where you fly. I would love to fly there with you and Jeff (maybe Alex too) some day. Thanks for sharing your photography. Really inspiring. It's cool to see images from a place that has such contrast in relation to Montana. Keep em coming;-)
    Cheers mate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! A big congrats to you Adam! I too can't wait to fly with you in S.A. someday soon.

    ReplyDelete