Some more flying catch-up from December...
Eric and I travelled to Porterville to fly during the All Africa Open PG comp. There were about 12 HG pilots in addtion to the 80 PG pilots there for the All Africa PG Comp. The idea was to hold a HG comp in conjunction, but due to the small numbers and lack of organization and competitive spirit, we just decided to free fly, agreeing on a general goal each day.
The first day was blown out, with a strong southerly stopping everyone from rigging. We hung out and relaxed at our awesome campsite by the river at Waterval and generally chilled.
The second day looked much more promising. We were up the hill early and rigging before the PGs showed up. As we weren't an official competition, we had to get off the hill before the PG launch window opened or wait until after it was closed.
We ended up launching just before their window opened, into conditions that hadn't quite turned on. Roelof, myself, Eric and Gustav all launched in rapid succession. We all got flushed out to the valley as there was nothing on the hills. Gustav and I found a little something above the landing field and managed a very respectable low save. Roelof and Eric landed. About 10kms down the ridge I found myself low again and tried to join a thermal below Gustav, but couldn't stay in the turblent core and had to land. Gustav got up and kept going to the pass.
The rest of us derigged quickly and headed back up to launch to try again.
Airtime: 45mins, 10kms.
We launched again after the PGs had left and I immediately got high. My plan was to fly with Eric along to Constriction and see how things were when we got there. I was after airtime, so I wasn't in a big hurry. I was above Eric so I could afford to dawdle along stopping frequently for climbs as we flew together to Bumpy Peak. At Bumpy, I got high and carried on to Pass, leaving Eric behind. At the Pass waited around looking for Eric and was indecisive, watching Roelof go by on his way to Renosterhoek, but eventually decided to head over the back to Citrusdal.
Got low over Citrusdal and couldn't find a thermal despite searching all over town. While I was doing so, Eric came in way above me! He had eventually got high at Bumpy and crossed over. With Eric close by I was determined to get up again and continue. I scratched and scratched, ending up low over some 50m high hills on the way to Constriction. I tried to soar these, but it was to no avail and I eventually landed out in front of the hills on the dirt road. I didn't know it at the time, but Eric was desperately hoping I would land as he was exhausted after his first thermal flight back in a long, long time and really wanted to land. As soon as I touched down, Eric circled down and landed next to me. Very cool. Big smiles all round.
Day three was a tough day and my last of the event. From my logbook:
"Very tough day. Started with bad rigging issues, missing the last good spot to put my glider, then another pilot turning my glider unasked and ripping a gash in the undersurface! Spent a long time fixing the undersurface and then decided to fly. As soon as the launch window was open, I launched 3rd. Scratched against the cliff as Eric then Roelof sank out. Then got up and flew along ridge. Ended up getting caught by Tony and Andre. Hung with them to Bumpy but then lost them as I grovelled a bit low at Bermuda Farm house. Eventually got up and flew to the pass where I could see Tony high and Andre lower. As I got to the mountain, Tony was gone and Andre came back again. Again, he outclimbed me as he flew over the back. I grovelled in front of the pass, hot and low, and considered going out to land when I found a really good thermal the took me to 1600m before I lost it. Headed to Citrusdal, found nothing and got really low over the town. Thought I had pulled off a low save when I climbed up 300m, but I lost the thermal and most of my height in one turn and so headed out to land. Flew over the town on a touch-and-go glide and landed next to the cricket field. Very exciting. Set up and had a hectic approach and then landing as I was forced into a cross-wind track in the hot, gusty conditions and then saw a barbed wire-fence looming as I was in ground effect. In the end I belly landed (first time ever) in some soft grass. So it all ended well. Derigged in the shade on the cricket field which was a life saver. Eric fetched me 45 mins later."
Airtime: 2h40, 34 kms.
With the gash in my glider, and Eric needing to get back to town, we packed up and headed home. I spent the whole of the next day taking the sail off, getting it fixed at a sail shop and then reinstalling it. What a mission! I hope I never have to do that again.
Still, the three days at Porterville were really fun, with some good flying and hanging out with some really good people. Would liked to have stayed longer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment