
Some catch up from awhile back. Had a lovely return to thermal flying at Dasklip on Sunday. Winds on the ground were light and the thermals were strong and coherent, a beautiful combination. After wrestling the glider to above ridge height, conditions were excellent. Got some smooth, sustained climbs of over 5 m.s-1 to 2300m ASL. At times I wouldn’t have known I was in a thermal if my vario hadn’t been going nuts.

I flew to the pass and then went over the back. I climbed to 2300m ASL over Citrusdal, but then found myself at constriction at 700m AGL. Deciding this was too low to continue, I turned back and landed there. I think it was definitely a day to go into the Cederberg and around the back to Clanwilliam, but I lacked the commitment to do so. Nevertheless, it was a really fun flight, with spectacular views of Clanwilliam Dam, St Helena Bay, the Maskamberg, Van Rhyns Pass and over the Cederberg into the Tankwa Karroo.
Airtime: 2h15, 49kms

No comments:
Post a Comment